News and Discussions About the 2010 Olympic Bronze Medalist and World Champion Daisuke Takahashi.

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Buttle healthy and raring to go

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
yukisnowflake
1A
1A

Number of posts : 225
Localisation : London Canada (country of the Battle of the Blades)
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Buttle healthy and raring to go   Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:07 pm

**Note: This is a long article about Jeffrey Buttle (Can. Champion).
So I've posted excerpts from the article.

Author: Jim Barber
Date: Oct 11, 2007

It has been said that from adversity comes character.

For Barrie resident Jeffrey Buttle, he had enough character building in the 2006-2007 figure skating season to last a lifetime.

The reigning three-time Canadian men’s champion, who trains for a significant portion of the year at the Mariposa School of Skating, spent all of last summer and most of the fall off his blades, recovering from a stress fracture in his lower back.

Yes, he won the Canadian title, but the man who won the bronze medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino was no match for the rest of the top international skaters once it came time for the World Championships in Tokyo. Only his reserve of courage and determination helped him to finish in sixth place.

This summer, it was a different story. Buttle needed a sort of figure skating boot camp, and spent most of the summer training with Rafael Arutyunyan in California.

He entered the sessions with a renewed determination to not only perfect his routines, but also to get stronger. For any athlete, the back is a significant arbiter of performance, and this is especially true for skaters, who rely on strong, flexible backs to handle the various twists, turns, jumps and arches required in the sport.

Although he spent much of his summer with Arutyunyan, when it comes to prepping for competitions, Buttle still relies on the wisdom and encouragement of Mariposa’s Lee Barkell.

Whereas last year the main goal was just to get back skating at a high level, this year, the goals are much loftier.

“I didn’t have a chance to build towards the world championships last year. So this year, with being able to train for a full season, being able to do the Grand Prix competitions, I definitely want to push myself and surpass that level, and just get stronger and do better,” Buttle said. “In order to do that, I need to have more competitions under my belt. I lost out last year by not being able to do that.”

But the competition is not going to make it easy for Buttle to regain his position on the international stage.

“It was obvious at the World Championships that Daisuke Takahashi (of Japan), and Brian Joubert, the Frenchman, and Stephane Lambiel (the 2006 Olympic silver medalist) are the main competition. They were the podium finishers and they’ve been strong in the past and they were strong there. So I think they’re definitely the guys that I need to keep my focus on reaching,” he said.

To read the full article here is the link:
http://www.barrieadvance.com/article/49867
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miyu
4F
4F

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2007-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Buttle healthy and raring to go   Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Thank you, yukisnowflake!

So far it seems every competitive skater are in good shape.
I also read a report Evan is great and planning 4T+3Lo in SP on GS Forum.

This year GPS, especially men's competitions will become very interesting and thirilling for us to watch, but for skaters they will become very very hard fights.

Go Dai-chan!!! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Buttle healthy and raring to go
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1